Monday, June 1, 2009

Giver-8-er Enduro

Goal for this race: Finish at least 5 laps

This was my very first enduro event. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about biking for so long but I can't really say I don't like Enduros without first giving them a chance.

For the race I decided to look for a partner so that we could switch off every couple laps or so. This way we could each have a break and get something to eat. Someone e-mailed me that they were looking to rde with a two man team so I rode the event with Peter.

My partner was going to be a little late so we decided I would start off and ride the first 2 laps and by the time I was finished my second lap he would be ready to go.

The first lap didn't go so well for me...there were so many riders in front and behind you so it was really hard to focus with people bearing down on you on the tight single track. I had a couple minor slip-ups and one bail when my front tire slipped out on a decent. I had pre-ridden the course 5 times prior so I wasn't sure why I was making so many mistakes on the course.

I remember coming up on a part that was a really steep and sketchy gravel descent. I knew before the race that I would probably just tripod my way down as it wasn't worth the risk of injury to try and bike down. A rider asked if he could pas and I said sure...but he hadn't pre-ridden the course and shot down the hill at full blast...needless to say...the dust cloud a the bottom cleared and he had bailed pretty hard. I checked to make sure he was OK and continued on.

My second lap was a lot better...I grabbed the wheel of a teammate and just followed her the entire course. She paced the lap really well so I had an easier time just following her lines. When I got to the timing chute, my partner was ready and waiting. Perfect timing.

My partner ran the laps pretty fast and we were doing the laps pretty good.
I was ready to start my third lap and felt pretty confident as my second lap went well.
During my third lap I was taking a new section of single track much faster then usual and accidently took the wrong line...my front tire caught on something and ejected me from my bike. I remember getting up to see my bike in the creek...after I fished it out the cables were stretched and twisted. I untangled it and figured it was OK. I kept riding and then on a uphill I tried to shift and my derailleur went right into my spokes...not good...my derailleur was bent.
I bent in back into place and then continued on for a bit...then I found out I couldn't shift my front derailleur either. I could barely pedal the bike and forgot my chain pins back at the team pits so I couldn't single speed my bike. I ended up having to walk my bike back to the start/finish area and burn the lap as I had cut the course to get back.

I felt horrible...I've crashed before but never that bad...how was I going to finish the race?
I felt bad that we would end up last because I took a lap too hot. I checked with the organizers and it turned out that we could change bikes...so I figured I would be able to drive home...get my other bike and be ready to race by the time my partner finished 2 laps. I drove like a madman home, loaded my other bike and drove back to COP. By the time I had finished getting ready...my partner rolled in and I took off.
Another problem arose right away...I don't have a bottle cage on my Prophet and I didn't think of grabbing my CamelBak. So I had to run the lap without any water at all. This was brutal, it was super hot outside and all I could think about was water each lap.

I finished my 3rd lap problem free came into the pit and my partner had just eaten so he checked to see if I was good to run another lap. I had the energy to, so I drank a whole bottle of water, half a bottle of Gatorade and took off for another lap. 4th lap I ran fine as well...must have been the full-suspension setup.

My partner ran another lap and then I ran the last one of the day....making it 5 laps. I had met my goal...although I think I would have been able to do more had I not crashed. I figure that my crash ended up costing us 2 or 3 laps. In total we did 10 laps. In retrospect I'm glad it was my bike that got smashedup and not me...or else I wouldn't have been able to help finish the race at all. We didn't come in last but I personally feel we probably could have done more laps which would have moved us up a bunch of spots.

Result: 16/18

Well there's always next year. I did end up getting a new frame and wheelset after this race...which is essentially a new bike. I didn't want to buy anymore bikes this year...but I'm really starting to enjoy racing...so I think I should have a proper racing bike that doesn't mess up my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment