Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cyclocross Rhymes with Pain

Since I won't be having any major races for a little while I thought I'd do a write up on my first cyclocross race experience.

So, what is Cyclocross?

The short answer: It's a portion of road biking, with a side of mountain biking, a sprinkle of steeplechase and a dash of running served with a nice tall glass of pain. Sounds like chaos? Well, quite frankly...it is...but it's insanely fun.

I have honestly been waiting all season to do cyclocross. This is the reason I wanted to race this season. It's probably the most pain you'll ever experience in 30 - 45 minutes...but at the end you can't help but smile.

The kickoff race was in Laycock park and Keith B. did an awesome job of throwing together a great course that did not disappoint....although it would be awesome to emerge covered head to toe in mud...it's not Europe and I'm sure we all want to be able to use the park next year.

My first race went pretty good. I didn't get lapped and I could see the race leaders for the most part. Not sure where I finished...but really...I was having to0 much fun to care.
The turnout as you can see below was incredible.


Jumping the barrier...this sport is ridiculous


Really...this is fun....though the picture suggests otherwise

If you've never been in a bike race but you want to try...I highly suggest you give 'cross a try. The community is awesome, the atmosphere is positive and we are all out here just having a blast. You don't even need to own a 'cross bike...a mountain bike will do, no one will judge you...I swear!

Don't own a bike? Come out anyways and watch some awesome bike racing, have some entertaining conversation and enjoy the last days of summer/fall.

Bike racing ain't over yet so come out and see what it's all about. Never before has pain been so much fun!

- Kyle

4 comments:

  1. Most awesome!!!!

    That picture of you jumping the barrier is amazing.

    Giver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ride hard Kyle! Ride hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha dammit. I wish I was in town to watch this. Keep it up man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Agree with the 2nd poster ride hard, super super hard! and you'll get some more good results!

    ReplyDelete