Friday, December 4, 2009

A Season in Review

It is now December and I have decided to take a bit of a break from the bike. Partially to avoid burnout and partially to help my body recover from the beating I gave it for 9 months straight this year.

When I look back, I would have to say that this season was a huge success. I’m really glad I decided to get into racing and I do not regret the experience at all. What I’m really happy about is that I was able to finish the season with no major accidents or injuries.


To sum it up by the numbers, my overall season would look like this:

  • ~4800 kms
  • ~200 riding hours
  • 19 races
  • 4 top ten finishes
  • 3 racing disciplines
  • 0 DNFs

I would say that is a good start for my first season of racing. But I don’t think a lot of that would have been possible without the support of my team and my friends. Always great to have people cheering you on from the sidelines, it totally makes you forget about how much your legs hurt. The cycling community has also been incredible and really changed a lot of the perceptions I had with bike racers. I’m already looking forward to racing again next year.

There were also a lot of resources that I used during the racing season that I wished I had discovered before. I’ll post them up here for anyone that is looking at getting into racing or improving their overall bike fitness. There were so many things to learn that I had not even thought about before, like proper athletic nutrition and racing tactics.

This season I’ve also met some truly amazing people and witnessed some amazing things. There are also a good number of cyclists who maintain blogs as well and I do like reading through them every now and again. Reading about some of the adventures that some of the riders have been on are really a good inspiration to just get out there and ride your bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment