Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 4: Munich to Innsbruck

The next day I when I woke up, I felt amazingly pretty good despite having 2L of beer. Not even a trace of a hangover or a headache which I usally get when I drink that much (for me that's a lot). Today, we were driving to Austria but it was supposed to be a pretty short drive but we were still going to have a pretty full day.

Out first stop was the in the country side to see the infamous Neuschwanstein Castle. From a distance it didn't really look all that spectacular and I figured that was probably the best look we were going to get of it.


I guess the ulterior motive for the stop was because there happened to be some snow on the ground and probably about half the people on the bus had never seen snow before in their life, so that was a pretty big thing for them. For me...it just made me think of home...and all the snow I was going to have to shovel when I got back.


After a short while, we got back on the bus and then proceeded to the town of Schwangau, which is the town at the foot of the road to the castle. Ther were several ways up the the castle but a few of us decided it would probably be faster to just walk up to the castle which took about 20 minutes.


The castle was huge. I don't even think any pictures can do it justice. The architecture was absolutely amazing and up until that moment, I never really thought castles like this existed. We didn't have time to take a tour of the inside of the castle so just walked around the courtyard and took pictures. After leaving the castle we travelled down the road to a restaurant for lunch. There I had more Hofbrauhaus beer (my new favorite), some currywurst with some pommes frites.

After we got back on the bus, we kept on driving through the mountain passes and then we had another stop at the Zugspitze view point near the Austrian border, which is the highest peak in Germany. After taking photos we hopped back on the bus and made our way to Innsbruck, Austria.


We arrived in Innsbruck and it was a really nice city surrounded by mountains. We proceeded straight into the city and got off to walk around the city. Our first major stop was at the Golden Roof landmark.  After a brief history lesson some of us proceeded into the Swarovski shop, which is what Austria is also famous for. 


A few of us then decided to go to a cafe to try some hot chocolate, which was amazing! Then we walked around trying to find a cybecafe so that some people could check their e-mail. After leaving the cafe we made our way to the Schnapps shop where you could taste anything you wanted for free. I ended up buying a small bottle to bring back home after tasting about 10 different flavors.


After we the shop we went back to the cybercafe to chill out for a bit before the group had to meet up to go to our hotel. After walking a short distance to the coach we made our way to the hotel for dinner and then got some sleep after a pretty big day.

- Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment