Sunday, August 2, 2009

Le Tour De Bowness Stage 2 - Criterium Delirium

Goal for the race: Finish with the group

Well today was the criterium race (crit for short). I went into this one feeling pretty confident becasue of my hill climb results. I hadn't done a crit for a couple weeks because my bike was in the shop so I wasn't too sure what the speeds would be in this one and if my legs could keep up.

The race started 40 minutes late because a bunch of cars had to be towed off the course so I tried to take advantage of the extra time and run a few more laps trying to see what lines I should tak and just get a little more warmed up.

The race started with a neutral lap around the course so everyone could get settled in (and clipped in) and I was able to settle in somewhere in the top half of the pack. After we did a lap the pace went up considerably but I was able to hang in the top third. After a few laps I decided to go for an attack to get into a better position. The key to crits is always positioning...and being in the front is better then being in the back...if you have the energy to hold on. I got to about the fourth wheel from the leader and tried to sit in but the pace was just killer. On the climb the pace didn't let up and I found myself drifting towards the back.

About 10 minutes in I noticed a bit of a gap developing on the power climb. Everyone was sprinting up the hill and I wasnt sure if I'd be able to sprint the hill at the pace and do it another 15 times. About 15 minutes in I riding with a pack of three other guys. After a few laps I ended up dropping all of them. No one was willing to work with me and form a pace line so we could rotate pulls and have a chance of catching up so I went off on my own....the only thought in my mind was to finish the race without getting lapped.
About the 30 minute mark I heard the lead motorcycle gaining on me and I knew that the paceline was right behind me. I got lapped right after the Start/Finish line. There was still 4 more laps to go but I knew I was going to get pulled fromt the race. I kept going hard anyways...and got a cramp in my stomach while trying to keep going.
As I approached the finish line...I was asked to pull out of the race. This is done so that lapped riders don't absorb themselves back into the main pack and contest the sprint.
I watched from the sidelines as my category finished up the race.
Today I was pretty disappointed. I was starting to do good in my training crits so I thought I had a chance at staying with the group during my first race. The pace was just a little too fast for me and it was much hotter outside then I was used to racing in.
A lot of people watching had very supportive words for me after my race and I was really grateful for that. People came up to me after my race and said they saw me working hard the whole way through which meant a lot to me.
Thanks to Kevin for doing an awesome job taking picture and to Shereen for coming out to watch me race. Also thanks to all my teammates and friends for all the support.
Race Result: 21/33

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Kyle - we all admire your grit in not giving up. You'll get it next time.

    ReplyDelete