Tuesday, October 6, 2009

CX Weekend Part 1

Well,

I’m currently in Beautiful British Columbia taking a much needed break from work and training, so I finally have some time to post about my races this past weekend.

Some of you may know I have been waiting a whole year for this event. For half a whole season I’ve had to deal with all the guys on the team telling me how much fun this race was last year and it was annoying me...because I was gong to do the race last year but something more important came up.

I remember constantly checking the registration during the weeks leading up to this race as I wanted my spot secured. There was a field limit of 60 people per category and the amount of buzz generated about the event meant it would probably fill up super fast. When registration was finally available, my friend Brent phoned me and I got my spot right away.

So why the big fuss over this race in particular?

Well, it’s ‘cross so it’s already guaranteed fun but this one is at night with loud music, crowds and lots of cowbell. I’ve watched so many euro ‘cross races and it looked like we were going to have one of our own. The race was also removed from the ABA schedule which meant that it wouldn’t count for anything and was to be a fun event. The Oval race the next day would be the ABA race so that one was a little more important and it was only for the licensed racers.

The week leading up to the race was a constant visit to the Weather Network website as they were predicting cold weather and 5-10cm of snow for the day for the race. This changed pretty much every day and finally it settled on just being cold with a maybe a little bit of rain and maybe a bit of snow.

The next day, some of us would be racing the same course but during the day and probably worse conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment