Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pedalhead Roadworks Super Prestige

*I can't find any photos of this race for some reason

Goal for the race: Finish in the top ten

After the race in Devon, I talked to Brent who wasn't able to come up and he told me to "&*@! that Italian up!" (lol) in the next race. I was prepared to deliver the hurt to Andrew....even if he did manage to beat me...I would ensure that he would be wrecked fighting for his placing.

The course was a pretty simple loop. Not really technical, a pretty big climb, a long sand pit and some pretty high barriers. I was getting worried now...the course looked like it was going to be really fast and favor power over technical skill. The ground was only slightly damp in the forest but for the most part pretty dry. The whole course width was also like 12 feet wide which is rare for a 'cross race so it looked like a go-kart track.

After walking the course, we got changed and rode a few pre-laps. The climbs were pretty decent. Not overly steep but fairly long for a 'cross course. What goes up must come down and there was a long downhill where you could probably easily hit 50km/h through the hardpack and leaves. Then came the sand pit...usually I just ride around them and test to see how deep and firm the sand is. The sand looked like a pretty long run with 2 short steep hills as you came out of it. Then it was a long hard pack straight to the start/finish line.

As usual, I was a little late for the call up and started in 3rd row. There were more guys out today and a few mountain bikes. Once again...this course was made for 'cross bikes. Another proper start and we were off. The pace started out fast going into the first climb and was single file going into the first descent. I sprinted up the next climb to pass the mountain bikers as they are usually harder to get around on the barriers. I gained a few places on the barriers but lost some as some riders were rocketing down the first downhill.

Then it was the big long climb...I grinded up to the top and was glad I put on my mud tires. Grip was not an issue today but I was worried if my legs could pace the climb another 4-5 times. I was able to get my positions back on the climb but was taking the downhill a little slower then most...I didn't know what was beneath all the leaves so I though it best to follow other riders and play it safe the first couple laps. Then came the sand pit...I was able to see ahead and everyone was riding it! I had to make a decision on the spot...if I wanted to stay in the race I'd have to attempt to ride through the sand. I sped up, stayed to where everyone was riding and pedaled through. I almost made it all the way but ended up in deep sand trying not to run into another rider.

Second lap I was still feeling really strong. I caught up to Andrew who told me that his legs just weren't firing today....so much for putting the screws to him today. On the downhills lines were being made in the leaves for me to follow. It was time to start taking numbers. I would target a rider, bridge and then pass. After each pass I would see another rider to bridge up to. I got to the sand and made it all the way through and didn't feel totally drained.

Each lap I was passing more riders. Some were tired from going out hard at the start but many seemed to be struggling on the climbs. The barriers werepretty high so that was catching some riders wheels slowing them down a bit. Even though my legs hurt I just kept on the gas. I wanted a top 10 finish today. Around the 3rd lap I passed my "nemesis"...I thought for sure he'd try and get me on the sand again but he was spinning the climbs.

When the final lap came I could see I was catching up to the second chase group. I kept going hard but I was passed by a rider on the downhill. I tried to stay with him during the climb but he was really pouring it on. I took the downhill faster then ever...going into full tuck and off the brakes. I blasted through the sand and sprinted for the start/finish.

Result: 10/30

Finally...I got my top 10 finish. I thought I was in the top 8 during my final lap...and I probably was but I let a couple riders get away from me. At the start of the race I was actually worried I was going to be lapped during this race so it was great to have a top third result. I feel I raced one of my strongest races and did everything right this race. I felt confident in myself during the race and just went hard the whole time. It was a great way to finish off another racing weekend. Only 2 more races remaining.

1 comment:

  1. Wow super job man! I knew a top 10 was around the corner!
    -Bubble Tea Destroyer

    ReplyDelete