Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Devon Dairy Queen Double Dipper

Goal for the race: Finish in the top 10

After waking up fairly early and enjoying a fine continental breakfast at the Super 8 Motel (LOL!) we drove out to Devon for the first race. It was fairly brisk outside, but it was supposed to warm up to +5 or something, still better then the snowstorm in Calgary. For 'cross I much prefer the cooler weather...I don't reach for the water bottle that isn't on my bike.

After talking to a couple United Cycle guys they were showing us two of the new features "never before seen in a 'cross race:. The first was the Heemer Humps (dedicated to Elite 'crosser Tim Heemskerk) and the second the was The Clam (or Agitator). Unfortunately after the commisaire walked the course the Heemer Humps were removed for safety reasons so we just got to do the Agitator. The barriers were a little shorter then usual and the sand pit was super short...so that's considered rideable. The climb was a little muddy but the guys said it was a run-up during the afternoon yesterday...so were lucky as the climb was only a little tacky when we started. After doing a couple laps, it looked like this course was going to favor technical skill over power and mountain bikes would be at a disadvantage in our race.

This time we got a real countdown so we had a good sprint start. I started in second row but was not able to move up during the sprint so I was near the back of the pack. When we got to the hill I was able to ride up no problem but then a rider got stuck almost at the peek so I had to dismount to run around him. The top of the climb was extremely rutted so it was hard trying to find a line to put your bike back into for the descent. After the descent, came a few hairpins and then a fast turn into the sand pit. A couple guy were having to dismount to make it through the sand so I gained about 4 positions on myfirstshot through. Then it was on to the Agitator...this was so trippy. The video I posted below will show what it is...but pretty much it's a giant corkscrew which winds into the centre, hairpins and winds back out. Going through, it was hard to tell if riders were in front or behind you, as you were almost brushing shoulders going opposite ways...very cool.

The next lap, I rode pretty much by myself. Third lap I caught up to Andrew who had a huge gap on me. I passed him on the climb but he managed to bridge up and rode on my wheel for the next 2 laps. I didn't really mind as he was pushing me to keep going strong and we managed to catch a few more riders. All of a sudden I was leading the third chase group. On the last lap I just managed to gap Andrew on the climb as I cut in front of him trying to make the final push up the steepest part and forced him to dismount. I managed to a pass a couple more riders and figured I was sitting somewhere in the top 10. I went out as hard as I could...sprinting out of every corner to gap the riders behind me but I was losing time on the technical sections as I was having some traction issues on the wet grass. Andrew also managed to pass the other riders and was sticking on my wheel as we navigated the technical section.

When I got to the final stretch, I had a slight gap on Andrew so I switched into my big ring and started hammering for the finish. I looked behind and Andrew was closing the gap. I pedaled as hard as my legs would let me, but he was able to catch up and suddenly we were side-by-side in a sprint battle for the finish. I looked down and noticed he was gaining on me...why was the finish line so far? As I got to the finish line, Andrew managed to make a final push to gain a half-wheel on me just as we crossed the line. Wow...what an awesome way to finish a race. Andrew pushed me so hard for the finish that I almost puked when it was all over.

Result: 11/23

I missed 10th place by half a wheel and had been sitting in 10th for most of the last lap. It was a great battle in the end and it was great learning experience on what to do next time. Andrew raced really well and he made me push hard throughout the race (even if he did suck wheel for the last quarter of the race...hahaha). It was awesome to be able to finish with him as he is a much stronger 'cross rider then I am.

Below is a video by the Hardcore team of the Elite Men's race.
Note: Andre Sutton broke his chain at the start of the race...fixed it, started the race half a lap behind and finished 9/19...it was amazing to watch him get back in to the race after he was faced with the possibility of having to DNF.


2 comments:

  1. wow, great write up and excellent results., your top ten finish is getting closer! keep it up!
    -Bubble Tea Destroyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lunge squats my friend... that will make you faster...

    The Wheel Sucker LOL

    ReplyDelete